Monday 24 September 2012

The Zombie Queen's Halloween Tiara


This started life as a cheap plastic tiara, ( you can see it in the photo below)


The main element, the skull I made from Pardo clay and once baked it I sanded it and stuck it to the front of the tiara where I had removed the large pink plastic heart.


I wanted this to have the look of having been in the grave for years, only seeing daylight again when the dead zombiefied body of the prom queen clawed her way to the surface. So I gave it a couple of coats of the Iron paint as a base. When this was dry I sponged copper and bronze over the top, spraying and letting it dry, then adding more until I got the look I wanted.


To finish it off, once I was happy with the finish from the verday I added a tiny amount of Gold Rub and Buff to highlight some of the raised areas, and this worked really well with the verday finish and really made the cheap plastic look like metal.


To finish I added some Fusible fibres to look like cobwebs.

I used all the Verday paints on this and it does show how just by having a different pain as your base you can get a very different effect with the paints. The Iron base does give a very old and rusty look and even the copper and, brass and bronze over this can look very different compared to when they are used with the others as a base.

Verday paints are avaibable from Ten Seconds Studio and do please add their blog to your favourites as there are a great selection of videos available on there and if you get stuck at all I am sure you will find the help you need on one if them. Also don't forget their Facebook page, upload your artwork made with their products, as it is lovely to see what people make and I personally love a bit of inspiration when I get stuck on a project.

Thank you visiting and see you soon.

Carol x

8 comments:

Maria Sabina R said...

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deborah said...

Gorgeously goth! The fusible fibre cobwebs are genius.

Reflective Art Studio said...

Wonderful.... I have to say this was a great upgrade to the pink thing.
lol
Love it.
Sarinda

Unknown said...

Stunningly beautiful - absolutely brilliant. And may I say that you have a gorgeous model with beautiful hair!

sam21ski said...

Fabulous, great skull

xxxx

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastic transformation... that's how to deal with all that pink stuff in the shops!!
Alison x

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is gorgeous and so original. it works really well,

Lucy x

Gerrie Johnnic said...

I just love it, great job and clever idea!